- PROMOS Scholarship Programme for Increasing the Mobility of Students
- Application Deadlines in Calendar Year 2019
- Application Documents
- Hints for Application
- OVGU PROMOS Funding Directives
The European Bologna reforms focuses on increasing the international mobility of students. PROMOS, the DAAD's mobility programme, established in 2010, fosters this goal, by giving scholarships for short-term (up to six months) study-relevant stays abroad. PROMOS at OVGU promotes students with excellant academic achievements whose studies abroad plans shall be realized at an institution beyond WELTWEIT or ERASMUS programmes.
The PROMOS scholarships are awarded by OVGU in an established selection procedure. A committee made up of subject coordinators from the faculties and representatives of the International Office will decide on the applications soon after the respective deadline. Personal selection interviews may take place in individual cases. Following the selection process, individual e-mail notifications are sent to the applicants.
PROMOS is a scholarship programme whose beneficiaries have the status of DAAD scholars. PROMOS ist not a placement programme. Each applicant must evidence successful placement at the time of his/her PROMOS online application.
The PROMOS programme is calendar year-based. PROMOS scholarships are awarded in the following categories:
|PROMOS high-priority projects:|
|1. Study semester at a OVGU WELTWEIT (non-ERASMUS) partner university. Monthly scholarships or a one-time travel grant may be awarded. (Students who wish to study abroad more than six months at a partner university, e.g. two semesters or three terms, cannot apply for PROMOS. They can apply to the DAAD for a scholarship in the category "Jahresstipendium".)|
|PROMOS lower-priority projects (in the sequence of priority as listed):|
|2. Freemover study placements, of 3 to 6 months, at European or non-European institutions. (PROMOS will not cover tuition fees payable at the host university. Those remain the freemover student's responsibility.);|
|3. Thesis projects abroad, of 3 to 6 months, at a European or non-European institution;|
|4. Internships/work placements abroad, of 2 to 6 months, at a non-European institution only. Internships for NGOs will be considered with preference. Paid internships or those with material, taxable benefits cannot be considered for PROMOS funding.|
|Please read the informationen on OVGU PROMOS Funding Directives and the hints for application carefully before you apply.|
|Start of project||Application deadline|
|Free mover students, thesis projects, internships, to start not before March 1st:||31 January 2019|
|Nominated WELTWEIT students, with study abroad to start in Fall 2018:||31 January 2019|
|WELTWEIT students, free-mover students, thesis projects, internships,
with start not before July 1st:
|15 June 2019|
Mobilities starting before 15th of February or after 01nd of December of a given year can, for organizational reasons, not be considered for a PROMOS scholarship.
From 15 May 2019 to 15 June 2019, 23:59 h, the OUTGOING appliation portal will be open for PROMOS applications of the calendar year 2019. Incomplete online applications will not be considered.
To start your PROMOS online application, please register in the OUTGOING application portal and choose the category which is suitable for your situation:
PROMOS applicants of priority category 1 "PROMOS WELTWEIT Programm 2019", fill the PROMOS online application form after you have been notified that you have been nominated for a WELTWEIT study place abroad. When applying for PROMOS, use the portal login data of your WELTWEIT application.
PROMOS applicants of priority categories 2 - 4, please prepare for the following documents/materials which must accompany, each in PDF format, your online application:
- Confirmation of acceptance by the host institution with an indication of the duration of the stay;
- proof of adequate skills/level of expertise in the language of instruction, by means of a language certificate of the SPRZ, or UNIcert certificate;
- statement on your studies/internship abroad project (no more than two pages);
- current recommendation letter from a university teacher of your faculty, to assess your academic skills and aptitude for the planned project abroad;
- if applicable, academic certificates (e.g. Bachelor's degree, foundation diploma, intermediate examination certificate);
- current grade transcript (downloadable from your LSF account and valid without signature);
- certificate of previous university studies, if applicable (e. g. Bachelor's);
- most recent OVGU enrollment certificate.
Regularly enrolled students on Bachelor's or Master's degree, diploma, Magister and state examination courses at OVGU may apply. Incomplete online applications can not be considered.
PROMOS applicants must:
- evidence excellent academic achievements and, possibly, demonstrate social commitment or similar.
- not have been awarded any financial support from a public or private German foundation for the same abroad project as applied for to PROMOS (law on prohibition of double funding). Students who have won the Germany Scholarship may in principle also apply for PROMOS funding. If in doubt, students in receipt of other funding should contact the International Office.
- not have received a PROMOS grant in the current level of studies.
|Example for ERASMUS grant in Category 1:
Student spends six months at Louisiana State University, USA (partner university in the WELTWEIT programme). The PROMOS grant for the successful candidate comprises: a partial scholarship (the monthly rate applicable for the U. S. being 400 EU per month) for a maximum of three months (depending on PROMOS budgetary situation).
|Example calculation 2, for second tier funding purposes (categories 2, 3):
Student spends four months at a Brazilian university in order to complete his/her Master's thesis. Provided that the above-mentioned application prerequisites are met, the PROMOS funding comprises: a partial scholarship ( 300 EUR per month) for a maximum of three months (depending on PROMOS budgetary situation).
According to the outline of OVGU's internationalisation strategy, the PROMOS scholarship programme shall, with first priority, support the student mobilities in the WORLDWIDE programme.
With second priority, Individually organised study semesters abroad and internships/work placements abroad or research projects aiming at degree theses may receive funding, always depending on the budgetary situation of OVGU's PROMOS programme. The primary aim is to place a stronger emphasis on longer placements abroad at existing partner universities of OVGU and thus to drive the internationalisation of the university forward more strongly.
Please observe the existing funding programmes for work placements abroad. We expressly encourage you to make use of these options:
- EU work placements for students and graduates in Europe (EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey): Please use the funding offers of the ERASMUS work placement and contact the Leonardo Office of Saxony-Anhalt. Information is available on the Leonardo Office website.
- AISEC work placements worldwide in many study fields, e. g. IT, economics and management, and others;
- DAAD scholarship programme for work placements within EU institutions, bodies and organisations that administer EU programmes, Germany's diplomatic missions abroad and the German institutes of social sciences and German schools abroad. The DAAD online application portal is open for such applications. More information:n DAAD website (German only ).
- Travel expense grants may still be funded by the DAAD for work placements undertaken with the AIESEC, bvmd and ZAD organisations. Applications for the travel expense grants must be submitted directly via the mentioned organisations.