Information for students

Note: Students can find information on job opportunities, career start and co. during the Corona crisis on the pages of the University's Career Service.

Last modification:
09.09.2021 / 11:45 a.m.

Where can I find instructions on how to take an exam?

You can find information about alternative examinations in the winter semester 2020/21 here.

Also Students and employees of the university can find general regulations for the conduct of examinations during the Corona pandemic in the following announcement (accessible exclusively in the OVGU network or via VPN).

[ top ]
Are there oral examinations?

Oral examinations can be held in sufficiently large rooms in compliance with the rules of distance. Only the student to be examined, the examiner and the assessor take part in the examination.

You can find information about alternative examinations in the winter semester 2020/21 here.

[ top ]
In which form will classes be taught in the winter semester of 2021/22?

The winter semester 2021/22 will be conducted as an attendance semester. However, the resumption of teaching on campus is linked to the 3G principle (vaccinated, tested or recovered) and the observance of distance and hygiene rules.

[ top ]
How can I register for face-to-face classes?

Detailed information on the registration process for classroom teaching on the university campus can be found on the following page.

[ top ]
Due to quarantine or travel restrictions, it is not possible to participate in classroom teaching events. Is the content provided?

No disadvantages should arise from non-participation. All course contents must be available in an online version without barriers. The respective teacher can decide on the format. Thus, different variants are possible - for example, a script, a podcast or a video. Please contact your lecturers and/or course directors if you have any questions or problems.

[ top ]
Are central contact points such as the Campus Service Centre, examination offices and the International Office open to the public?

Starting on 1 July 2021, the Campus Service Center extends its offers by a variety of Click&Meet services. You need to make an appointment for personal consultation hours. You can find more information here. All other offices remain partly closed to the public but you can contact the respective employees by phone or email. Please check opening hours and contact info on the respective websites where you can also find the tools for booking an appointment.

[ top ]
What information is available on how to use the IT Service Point and URZ?

The IT Service Point and the computer pools will remain closed until further notice. Since 1 February 2021, you can collect printouts in the entrance area where you can also scan an copy documents. You can find further information here.

[ top ]
What regulations are there for internships or traineeships that cannot be carried out?

Information on internships, traineeships, etc. is communicated via your student e-mail or via the websites of the examination offices of the faculties. Please save the website of your examination office as a bookmark and check it regularly for updates.

[ top ]
Can I break off my studies abroad without any disadvantages?

In case of an Erasmus+ stay abroad:
Students who go to the regions concerned to complete an Erasmus+ stay and then abandon it, will receive their Erasmus grant for the days spent abroad or the costs incurred if they return early, even if the minimum duration is not reached.

If you are already abroad to study, please inform your examination office in case you wish to drop out and ask your questions about the possible recognition of subjects and grades in this special case. If you have any (travel) organizational questions, please contact the International Office. (E-Mail).

[ top ]
Does Corona cause disadvantages with regard to BAföG payments?

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research has assured that BAföG recipients will continue to receive support in the current situation. You can find information on this here. In addition, students who are demonstrably in acute need due to the Corona pandemic will be helped with a total of 100 million euros in grants. They are awarded through the student and student services. Online application here.

In addition, students can apply for interest-free loans of up to 650 € per month from the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW). You can find more information here. The staff of the Studentenwerk Magdeburg is available for personal advice.

[ top ]
What do I have to do when I travel to Germany from a risk area?

Digital Arrival Registration (Digitale Einreiseanmeldung (DEA))

If you travel from a high risk area, you must complete the Digital Arrival Registration (DEA) before entering the Federal Republic of Germany. Local public health authorities can access this information online, which enables the enforcement of quarantine rules. They can also demand proof of testing or can ask you to take a test after your arrival.

If for technical reasons (such as lack of hardware or technical issues with the website) you cannot register online before your arrival, you are obligated to fill in a substitute registration on paper. Please check the form for information regarding drop-off points (for example: with your airline/other carriers or with Deutsche Post E-POST Solutions GmbH, 69990 Mannheim). The substitute registration will be forwarded to the public health authorities of the traveller’s destination address.


According to the Corona-Arrival-Regulations (CoronaEinreiseV) of the Federal Ministry of Health dating from 30 July 2021, all returning or first-entry travellers from high risk areas must quarantine for 10 days. Travellers from virus mutation areas must quarantine for 14 days. The RKI provides a list of current high risk and virus mutation areas.

  • Travellers from high risk areas must register via the Digital Entry Application prior to their entry. In addition, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery from COVID-19 or a negative PCR test (max. 72h old) or an antigen test (max. 48h old) is required for entry. The quarantine period takes 10 days. The quarantine can be cancelled immediately if the person entering the country can show proof of vaccination or recovery. If no proof is available, the quarantine can be ended from the 5th day with a negative test result.
  • Travellers from virus mutation areas must also register with the Digital Entry Registration before departure. A negative PCR test (max. 72h old) or an antigen test (max48h old) are also required. A vaccination or recovery certificate is not sufficient. The quarantine period is 14 days and cannot be terminated early.
  • Persons entering from other areas do not have to register with the Digital Entry Registration. However, a vaccination or recovery certificate or a negative PCR test (max. 72 hours old) or an antigen test (max. 48 hours old) is required for entry. Quarantining is not necessary.

Here you can find a simple overview on current entry regulations.

Because of virus mutations, all students arriving in Magdeburg from official virus mutation areas must quarantine for 14 days. This quarantine cannot be shortened by a PCR test or rapid antigen test.

If during your quarantine you experience any typical symptoms of an infection with SARS-CoV-2 such as coughing, fever, sneezing or new loss of taste or smell, you must contact the public health authorities immediately.

Hotline: 0391 540 2000 (Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-4.00 p.m.)

Fieberambulanz (Fever Centre), Brandenburger Str. 8
Register with the public health authorities (hotline see above) or use the appointment service hotline (116117)

Opening hours:

  • Monday -Friday: 9 a.m.-12 noon
[ top ]
Where can I submit applications for study organization?

Students can drop applications for enrollment or de-registration and other written correspondence regarding the organization of their studies in the mailbox in front of building 9 (Security). Attention: Please use the red mailbox with the Otto-von-Guericke logo, not the letterbox of the Biberpost! In addition, you can also send these applications by post to the relevant institutions.

[ top ]
Can final theses be registered at the examination office?

Yes, registration is possible. At the examination offices, registration is currently only possible by post or e-mail. A list of the examination offices can be found here.

[ top ]

Last Modification: 10.09.2021 - Contact Person: Webmaster