Data and Knowledge Engineering
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Winter and summer semester
The target group of the Master Data and Knowledge Engineering are better-than-average graduates with a Bachelor degree in Computer Science or a closely related field with a minimum grade point average of 2,5 on the German scale. The duration of the Bachelor degree must be at least 3 years (six semesters), it must include at least 10 Computer Science courses (up to 4 courses on applied statistics are acceptable within these 10).
The Master DKE can be studied in German or English. Thus foreign students must prove an appropriate level of German or English (for German: DSH-2/German Language Exam for University Entrance or TestDaF 4/4/4/4), for English: TOEFL results (internet based minimum score 71) or IELTS (minimum overall band 6.0).
Detailed information about the Master DKE can be found here
. application instructions here
No admission restriction.
Applicants with German Bachelor degree - apply
at OVGU Magdeburg:
- winter semester: September 15
- summer semester: March 15
Applicants with international Bachelor degree - apply through uni-assist
- winter semester: March 15 to June 15
- summer semester: October 1 to December 15
In the Master Data and Knowledge Engineering students acquire solid knowledge on the theoretical aspects and application areas of knowledge discovery, machine learning, data mining and warehousing, of the supporting database technologies, the languages and models for the representation of data, information and knowledge.The Master DKE offers interdisciplinary courses, practical exercises and project works, in which students become familiar with the challenges of applications in business, natural sciences, biotechnology, security, manufacturing and engineering. They obtain the expertise and skills necessary for the design and realization of innovative solutions - working in one-person projects and in teams.
- Knowledge engineers in large institutions like banks, automobile industry and medical centers
- Project leaders for interdisciplinary projects of large and medium enterprises
- Consultants in such
- PhD studies for an academic career
Competencies and Interests Required
- A solid background in computer science is indispensable.
- Background in machine learning and data mining is not a prerequisite, since such domain knowledge can be acquired in the first semester of the Master DKE. Master DKE students that bring such knowledge from their previous degree have a larger selection of advanced courses from the first semester on.
- Reading and understanding English is important: Data and Knowledge Engineering is an area of intensive research, a large part of the scientific literature is on English.
- Inclination for self-standing work and for teamwork
Last Modification: 08.12.2016 - Contact Person: